Friday, February 03, 2006

Setsubun and Ehou-maki

Today, 3rd of Febrary is Setsubun in Japan. Do you know it? If I translate the word "Setsubun", it means the day before a change in seasons. Setsu means season , bun means division. We say tomorrow is new season , spring in calender.

We have some rituals for Setsubun. We throw roasted beans from inside and outside our house. When we throw them, we shout "Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi!" (" Go out devils, come on happiness.) After that we eat beans same number of your age. when I was a kid, I wanted eat more.



This is a Sushi roll, maybe as you know,it's very famous. But today it has special meaning. It is called "Ehou-maki" which is uncut. When we eat it with facing Ehou direction which is supposed to good direction of that year.(It changs every each year.)This year's ehou direction is south-southwest.

Tonight I was making Ehou-maki by myself , but when I went to the supermarket, I found seafood Ehou-maki in which sermon , tuna, and squid. It looked so yummy, and I bought it;)

3 comments:

domestic rat said...

This is interesting!

kazumi said...

Thank you for your comment, Yes it is very interesting , I think.

Anonymous said...

Thanks from your explanation of Ehou Maki and its relevance in Japanese culture. I found it very interesting and detailed. Greetings from Finland (Kiitos)