Thursday, April 06, 2006

Tegami (letters)

Recently I rarely write letters , althouth I used to write letter often.

When I was a junior high school student, I had a penpal in U.K. Since I have just started learing English, it is difficult to write letters in English, so I was just trying to copy the same sentenses of the text. When I got the first letter , I was checking the stamps , envelope as well as letters. It was the first time to feel overseas. I had been to Korea before, but Korea is simlar to Japan. Whenever I found the letter from her in the mail box, -I could find out her letter soon , because she use the airmail envelopes with red and blue border -I was so excited!!!

As I entered the university in Tokyo, I wrote many letters to friends in my homtown. At first living in Tokyo by myself made me feel lonely. I made phone calls sometimes , but it was expensive. After I got used new life, I traveled many countries, I sent many postcards from outside Japan.

But nowdays email is much easier and faster to communicate. Always using computer, sometimes I can't remember the spell of chinise character. I can read it! but sometimes I can't write it .(In Japan we learned more than 2000 chinise characters at least , when we were kids!)

Yesterday I watchd one program about letters onTV. Some people think a great deal of writing letters. They choose very nice own stationeries like fountain pen and letter pad. There is a TEGAMI cafe( letter cafe ) in Kyoto , which you can spend whole day to write letters and get some nice stationeries.

I feel like writing letters to someone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that writing letters these days is like a long lost art form. It is very rare that I get written letters from friends and family; I get mostly e-mail. I have become addicted to e-mail because I love how fast and convenient it is! That place in Kyoto that you mentioned sounds great! I like writing letters best when I have a nice pen and pretty stationary to write with. When I was in junior high school, I had a pen pal from Germany, and I really enjoyed writing letters to him to practice my German. I think you have inspired me to write a letter to my nieces in California. Thank you Kazumi!

kazumi said...

>aime
I think I am addicted email, too. But when I get something so nice stationery I feel so happy. Why don't you write your niece with using letter pad which is designed cherry blossom? Now they are many on sale.

>skoonr
Actually it is getting faster for me to write these posts compared with the time when I started this blog. I am sure writing blog in English is very good way to lerning english.