Monday, April 03, 2006

ruokala lokki



ruokala lokki- they are the words in Suomi which is sporken in Finland.If they are translated in English, they mean "Seagull diner".

Now the movie "Kamome syokudou(Seagull diner in Japanese)" is popular amoung young women. I have just watched it the other day. The story is not excited one, but make you feel better. Very heartwarming story.

One Japanese woman opened Kamome syokudou(Seagull diner)in Helsinki by herself. At first nobody came to her place to eat. But a Finnish young man who love Japanese cartoon came there as a first customer. After that two Japanese women, one came to Finland as a tourist and another had lost her lugguage, started to help Kamome syokudou. Those three women were having many experiences with locals. Those three Japanese actresses play the unique characters. To my happiness, I could see them in the theater, because that was the first day of show.

In the movie, Onigiri which Sachie wants to serve is introduced as Japanese soul food.It is interedting, too. You can see many Japanese food. If you are hungry, it might be heard to watch this movie.

I heard they are going to put the movie on the screen in Finland.

ruokala lokki official site in English

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an interesting movie!
One of my favorite things to eat here in Japan is onigiri! I love it with tuna and mayo in the middle. I often eat yaki-onigiri for breakfast or for a snack. It's very good!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wanted to see this movie too.
You already saw it!
I love Satomi Kobayashi(the actress) for long time.
She is so cool. And so is Masako Motai. :)

kazumi said...

>aime
I hope you can watch this movie in English here. Oh you like onigiri?
I love tuna, too.

>kino
It was a nice movie. Kobayashi was so cute, and Hairi is so big!

>ana elisa e aleister
I think to start blog is not so difficult, but keep writing is another thing, especially if you don't use your native language. I sometimes feel difficulty of writing. Just keep trying!

Anonymous said...

Kamome Shokudo is in Espoo Cine festival in end of this month. (Espoo is a smaller city near Helsinki, the capitol of Finland.) After the movie festival it's going to open in big chain's theaters.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kazumi,
greetings from Helsinki! I just found your blog when I googled "Ruokala Lokki". I´ve been waiting for that movie because i used to live in that neighbourhood when they were shooting the movie. I have a passion for your culture, food, movies and literature. So it is pleasure to see japanese culture mixed with finnish one! All the best for you, nice to read your blog! Best regards; Heli from Finland

Anonymous said...

Hi! Me and my boyfriend just saw that movie yesterday here in Finland. We both liked it very much. I'd like to ask you about the rice balls, the "japanese soul food". How often do you eat them? Are they popular? In the movie they seem symbols of home and family and love. And would you have a good recepy for them? :)

kazumi said...

Thank you for your comments.
I haven't noticed your comments , sorry to late replay;)

>suviko
So have you watched the movie already?
If so, let me know how do you think it? It is interesting to know how the non-Japanese people think!


>Heli
Thank you!
I was iso mprresived the beautiful scenary of your country. I really would like to travel North Europe including Finland. Maybe next summer...or after next summer!. At that time I want to try Finnish food!


>Hanna
I am happy you guys liked that movie. As for riceballs, YES ,very popular , you can find at any convenience stores here, we take picnic , lunch in particlular. How often I eat tem? Maybe twice or three times in a months. Some people eat them everyday.
And I found some recipe;

http://www.bob-an.com/recipe/dailyjc/hints/musubi/musubi.html

http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia16/bon.html

http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~tomi-yasu/recipe/091_e.html

Anonymous said...

Lovely movie - very nice to hear a Japanese interpretation of Helinki and Finland.

I am Finnish, and don't understand Japanese, and I live in the US now. The boy was right about the forests. Also chanterelles are delicious mushrooms and highly regarded in Finland.

Very good movie. I wish to learn some Japanese now!