Tuesday, June 06, 2006

the culture of MOE~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever heard the word "MOE"? It is a Japanese slung which shows affection to someting or someone cute. Now it is the popular word to many people especially young people, but at first the people who are called "Otaku" who are so addicted to the cartoon, game has start using the word "MOE".

Akihabada have been famous as a electrical town where you can find many PC shops, electrical shops. Now Akiba -sometimes to be shorten-is the center of Otaku and MOE culture.

There are some place called "Maid kissa" in Akihabara,which is the coffee shop and the waitresses disguise as a maid . As you get in those shops ,they would say "Welcome home, Master" with their sweet voice. In fact it is a big boom in Akihabara.
[maid]

Now the many kinds of shop clarks disguse as a maid besides coffee shop.
It was the first time to see those culture there, even though I knew by TV Show. It is chaos, I could find it I feel I am in another country. I know this place is known as a electrical town to foreigners, but there is another culture here, although for me it was weired!
[maid T-shirt]


[this sign said "maid is on duty today"]

Addition on 06/30/06
I just found the website of Butler cafe in shibuya , where all butler are foreiner we can talk and get service in English. Should I try???

7 comments:

Roger A. Tetrahart said...

はじめまして!I'm Roger from Singapore, and this is the first time I'm visiting your blog. I have a very strong interest in Japan's culture, so it is really pleasant to have first hand insights from you rather than just reading books. (^ー^)

I understand the "concept" of MOE, though I'm not sure if I should be called an otaku myself. I think these maids are really cute! (*≧∀≦*) I really want to eat in a maid kissa when I go Japan someday!

ReyLynda said...

Now I know why I see maids running around everywhere! I saw some in Harajuku when I was with there with Aime last summer but I had no idea what it was all about.

I love the topics on your blog, they are so educational!

kazumi said...

>mb
Thank you for your comment and visit this blog. I am happy if you will be able to know a little Japanese culture by my blog.

Well, the word Otaku was used for nagative expression before, but now it is undersood more widely. But for me it is still difficult to understand.:)

>skoonr
Yes! That's right. Many girls have that name. Actually it was very popular a few years ago, and still common. Originally the meaning of MOE in Japanese is to come into bud and sprout.

>rey
The other day when I was watching TV I knew another kissa(coffee shop). Guess what? If I translat it, it is "butler kissa" or "chamberlain kissa" for women.
When you enter the coffe shop, they whould say "Welcome home ,my lady" Do you wanna go??
Anyway this country is very strange, isn't it??? ;)

ReyLynda said...

That's so FUNNY Kazumi, I'd LOVE to go to the "butler kissa"...it would be such a fun experience! It's about time that women had butlers too!! :D

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting! I may have to take a trip down to Akihabara to check out this "MOE" phenomenon! Thanks for your great insight!

Roger A. Tetrahart said...

From what I understand, it a type of fetish (not neccessary sexual) mainly among the otakus, who find beauty and cuteness in cosplayed characters. I watch alot of anime, and often these maids are beautufully drawn with a cute personality. Thus the attration, maybe?

I know there's a negative connotation to it, but I think it as interesting rather than キモイ. It is true alot of females find these otakus repelsive. I see it portrayed in the drama Densha Otoko...

There are Butler Kissas?! My females friends will go crazy over it! hahah...

kazumi said...

>rey + aime
Butler Kissas in Ikebukuro, not in Akihabara. If you need more infomation, let me know.

>mb
Yes, it is a kind of fetishism. Now there are many fetishism here. Some people like people who wear glasses or suits.

You know Densyaotoko?
Actually that drama makes the word "otaku" more generalize and positive word.