Friday, May 12, 2006

about smoking

I don't smoke, I don't like the smell of the cigarette. So it is nothing with me, but I read an article of raising price of cigarettes on July. I think still much cheeper than in Europe, JT (Japan Tobacco) which have a monopoly to sell cigarettes have decided to reise the price all kinds about 10yen -30yen per box. It will be harder time for who love or are addicted to smorking.

When I was a kid, my father used to smoke a lot, and it is allowed to smoke anywhere. But since about 10years before, the place have been limited, some place have been prohibited smorking. For example, some place in Tokyo, walking with smorking ins prohibiting. Now my father had stopped smorking already for his health.

As I mentioned, even I don't like smell, especially in restaurants. Sometimes smell mekes taste bad. I know in Florida, Smorking in restaurants is prohibited. I wish we have same rule here.

4 comments:

ReyLynda said...

Hi Kazumi...I'm the same way. My Mom smoked for many years, then quit ten years ago for her health. It's so much better for her now!

I'm not sure if it's the same here in Japan, but in America the prices kept going up because of taxes. The local government assessed "sin taxes" on things that weren't necessary but they figured they could get extra dollars for road repairs, etc. It's usually a big problem when that happens, but it seems that smokers eventually get used to the increased prices.

In Los Angeles, for many years there were just "smoking sections", then eventually smokers were asked to sit in the "al fresco" dining outside. Now there's no smoking at all in restaurants, although bars still allow it.

I forgot how much I missed "smoke free" restaurants until I went with Aime a few weeks ago into a smoky restaurant! At least the food was GREAT though :)

Jessica said...

My mom smokes so I know what it's like. I'm in Florida so it's so wonderful that we can go in resturants and it is smoke free. Much healthier.


- Surfed on from GOB-

Anonymous said...

hey Kazumi,

I'm a nonsmoker,too. Here in Germany we have a very high tobacco taxes, a packet of cigarettes (19 cigarettes) costs 4€, including 75% taxes. 4€ means 570 Yen.

My boyfriend smokes and I hate it! He tried many times to quit, but it seems
not very easy. After all it's still a drug, so the addiction is high.

Here in Germany we don't have "smoke free" restaurants, only non-smoking areas, which is ridiculous, beacause the fume spreads everywhere.

I wish we had also places, where smoking is prohibited.

kazumi said...

thank you for your comments!

Reading your comments, I can see the point of view of non-smorker is same. Same feeling , same thought. although in different contries.

I hope we have more smoke-free place:)