Saturday, November 19, 2005

Haiku in English

I have't known "Haiku " is quite popular in English.

Haiku is a kind of poem, which have to include the word of season, originally Japan about 600-700years ago. Since we have four seasous, and have loved beauty of season, nature.

In Japanese we usually write 3lines by 5letters, 7letters, 5letters.
There are some famous poet in our history, we learn at junior high, and high school ,and we had to make some haiku as a homework.

In foreign languages, there exist no rules in how to write Haiku, I guess. Some people have idea of how to write, but other people have different idea.
Since I have just checked some website-only in English-many of them are consist of 3lines but not all. Maybe the style of 3lines is standard, although, I don't know any other languages.

I made one...

Need my coat
Miss the sunshine
Feel the winter

Thank you :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku
http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiku.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haikus are wonderful stuff. I especially like the Zen haikus.

Sometimes, they do not make sense. But they need not make sense, it is all about the feelings which the words invoke.

kazumi said...

Thank you!
That's right.
Sometimes it is difficult to understand, still we can get some impresion from haiku.