Sunday, January 08, 2006

Seijin-no-hi (Coming-of-Age Day)

Tomorrow is Monday, but here in Japan many people can sleep late tomorrow morning , because tomorrow is the natioal holiday which is called "Seijin-no-hi"(Coming-of-Age Day).Before it was 15 th of Jamuary , but since 2000 it became on the 2nd monday of January which creats long weekend.

In Japan the people who are twenty years old or are going to be twenty years are invited to attend the ceremony. At the age of twenty....it has big meaning in Japan. For exmple people can get vote, and are allowed to consume alcohol and tabacco.

Tomorrow we can see many young men wearing good suits and many young women dressed Furisode kimono which is for young and unmarried women. When I was twenty years old, I was in Tokyo but for the ceremony to see my friends went back to my hometown. It is a very good oppotunity to see old friends.

5 comments:

Jeruen said...

Ah I remember that. I used to see every year young women dressed prettily riding the trains and going to the temples or shrines I guess...

domestic rat said...

This is interesting to know. I love your blog because it allows me to get in touch with Japanese culture.

kazumi said...

>Linguist
Yeah. that's right.
Today I saw many garls in Kimono.


>domestic rat
Thank you ;)
I am happy if you feel or understand our culture.

Anonymous said...

We dont have days like this in Spain. When we are 18 we are allowed to make everything we want without a party like yours.

kazumi said...

>Itziar
Hola!! Thank for your comment from Spain. I am studying spanish.But just like ababy:)
Anyway, it is intersting to know the difference of the different cultures.