Monday, December 05, 2005

pay in the restaurants

Tonight I went to the restaurant with my friend to have dinner.
It is a type of restaurant which is called family restaurant in Japanese. It has reasonable price menu , good atomosphere for family, has variety of menu.... It is almost same as like ihop, Denny's in U.S.A.

But one thing is totally different.
In U.S.A. when you want to pay , you maybe call your server for the check, then you give money or card to the server, sometimes you will wait for your change or card at your table. Then you leave some money or write tip amount on your check for your server.

But in Japan it is easy.
We don't have any tip system usually. You don't have to worry about tip.
After you get the check, you just go to the casher counter, then pay exact money.
I don't know very very good restaurants ,and maybe at hotels service charge might be add.
But usually you don't need it.

When I went to U.S.A, we had to think about tip at the restaurant. Usually 15%-20%. At some restaurants they add tip because they knew we were Japanese. They knew some Japanese didn't leave any tip, because we don't have it. I know the salary of server was from tip. But many Japanese don't know it. So it might happen.

3 comments:

Em said...

In Singapore most good restaurant charge 10% svc charge.So I usually check the bill for svc charge bef I leave a tip...

kazumi said...

Thanks for your comments.

>k.k.
I never been to spain, so I dont know tip in Spain, But in Europe usually less than U.S.A, I guess.

>em
So If I go to Singapore , I have to check it....included or not

Anonymous said...

^,^ i am a Korean girl, so glad to meet your blog^^ this place is funny !! kk -