Friday, December 30, 2005

Shabu shabu

Today I ate Shabu shabu (also spelled syabu syabu)with my freind.Shabu shabu is one of the pot style dishes, we like to eat especially at winter season. To my regret , I forgot to take a picture of that.

It is very similar to sukiyaki cooked in the pot on the table.Both dishes are served with meet(usually beef) vegetables, tofu, and mushrooms. But meat for shabu shabu is thinner than meat for sukiyaki. You wanna know how to cook it?

At first you need make dashi soup by water and kombu,or you can use dashi stock. Then put dashi soup into the pot and heat,add the vegitable in,since the meat is very thin, only you can cook for a few seconds.

As you eat with dipping sauce like sesame sause or ponzu sause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabu-shabu

3 comments:

Rawknee said...

Hi,
I'm from America, I blog around here somewhere, I was stumbleing around blogomania and found your site, I have a freind from Japan, he calls me his American Dad, I call him my Japanese Son. His name is Hideaki, We just reestablished relations after a long absence. It's good to see a blogsite that shares it's culture with others as yours does. It gives us a taste of what it's like in your country.
Rawkneepee

Jeruen said...

Oh I miss shabu-shabu...

But speaking of one-pot dishes, I prefer oden than all the rest. I like the original homemade one, but of course, if I can't get hold of that, then the oden from Seven-Eleven that they sell every winter would be fine.

kazumi said...

>Rawkneepee
Thank you for your comment. If reading my blog make you undersood japanese culture, I am so glad.

>linguist-in-waiting
Oden... Oh, I have to write about it someday. Yeah, it's time to eat Oden , too.